Daily Archives: April 16, 2014
“I got soul, but I’m not a soldier”
The power of the written word as expressed though music is completely unsurprising. Not a new revelation at all, but this obvious observation does not diminish the inspiring and revealing nature of a perfectly-crafted phrase sung for, to and from the heart.
As a talking camel strutting through a busy American office would ask right about now, “guess what day it is?”
Wednesday is the most confusing day of the week. It’s not near the beginning (uggh) or near the end (yay!), but smack down in the middle. Thankfully, that song lyric above is the quintessential answer to this mid-week dilemma. Monday and Tuesday, yes, we are relentless “soldiers” for our jobs and our companies. However, once the first sign of light starts to break on the horizon over that tall stack of papers (literal or figurative), that warm, comforting glow is a guiding force that we again need to embrace our adventurous and random side for the end of the week and of the weekend ahead.
Below is a list of 7 things to do today or this evening as a reminder that “I got soul, but I’m not a soldier.”
Here we go:
- Go to a local farmer’s market and buy food you’ve never cooked before and try your hand at it
- Break out into a dance with a friend/friends on a street or walkway with people around for 10 seconds
- Blast music from your car (sans profanity or vulgar material) with entertaining bravado
- Sit outside on a park bench (weather permitting) and read a good book
- Always, always read and spread the awesomeness of Jimmy’s Daily Planet!!
- Go to a bar in a nice restaurant and secretly pay the tab of a couple in love
- Watch the abridged video below for visual motivation from the killer source of this post
After all, isn’t it about ‘all these things that we’ve done’?